Tuesday, June 10, 2014

New House, New Fish

In the past two(ish) years I have moved three times. I hate moving, but I love the fact that every move is a new beginning. Instead of being in the Fort Wayne area, I am now a resident of Indianapolis. New home, new fish, that's for sure!

While I grew up in the country, I have spent most of my adult life in a city environment. I hate it, but it's what I can do at the moment. I live with a great couple and am now only 25 minutes from my boyfriend's house (as opposed to a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive). That part's great! I have tons of neighbors, however, which isn't so great.

While I would love to turn the yard of this house into my dream landscape, I can't. You see, it's a rental. It's not a great rental, but it is in a decent part of town and it is a cute house. However, the yard leaves much to be desired.

Yes, I could spend all of my hard-earned money on landscaping plants; I could go to native swaps and dress up the yard to my liking; I could, I could, I could ... But I'm not. That's too much money and time to spend on a house that someone else owns.

Don't get me wrong, I've planted a few things. Some woodland phlox (Phlox divaricata), some liriope and a pretty yellow carnation plant that I just couldn't resist. I also have plans of transplanting a large peony growing on the east side of my house where nobody can appreciate its gorgeous, deep pink blooms.

I was also pleased to find out that the massive shrub that was growing in our backyard is an overgrown lilac that sends off pale, pinkish-purple flowers. They didn't last long, it seemed the flowers stuck around shorter than even standard lilacs. However, it is a 15' (or so) shrub with beautiful blooming potential and one that will look even more spectacular if I truly decide to give her a haircut (yes, I know, I should have pruned her a couple weeks ago if I was going to do it at all).

Huge wild strawberry patches grow along my fence and the massive pit where an above-ground pool once sat. Unfortunately, I have some nightshade growing along my fence as well. Pics and a post about that to come.

What else have I discovered? Oh, the usual. Little jumping spiders making their ways to my window sills, a few house spiders, one sac spider inside, and a huge army of snails waiting for my command. OK, I doubt they're waiting for my command, but there sure are a lot of them that live between my foundation and the patio.


No comments:

Post a Comment