Monday, October 31, 2011

Final Plantings and Purchasing Plants

Autumn is -- and it's no secret -- the ideal time to plant several types of trees, shrubs and perennials. The question seems to be "how late in the season you can actually plant?" The answer to the question is difficult to answer, although in many parts of the Midwest and around the nation you still have a week or so -- maybe even longer -- to get those plants in the ground.

Spring and fall both offer transplants different benefits. In spring, the benefit is that if you get the plant in early enough, it will become better established before hot, long summers. This is important for young plants especially. In fall, the plants are put in the ground just before they go dormant for the winter. The benefit here is that the plant can become somewhat established in the ground and have a nice, long winter nap before its glory is displayed in the spring.

When planting this fall, remember to make sure your plant has plenty of its needed nutrients so that it has a better chance of surviving a harsh winter. For young, tender roots, consider mulching around the base of the plant to help shield them from the elements. You also get lucky this time of year with mulch -- use raked or mulched leaves. For small, tender plants, you can also put a cage around them and fill the cage with leaves or straw. Tomato cages are ideal for this.


Be wary, though, because not all plants are suited to fall plantings. Ornamental grasses, certain species of magnolias and others do better when planted in spring. This doesn't mean you can't plant them in fall, it just means to exercise caution. If you're still looking for last-minute plants to get in the ground, always choose from a nursery that offers a guarantee on their plants. Not to "toot my own horn," but the nursery I work at offers a 2-year guarantee on trees, shrubs and perennials. The key is to hang onto your receipts.

While I haven't done so yet, I plan on making a file for all my receipts from the plants I purchased this year -- and for years to come. It makes it easy to find the receipts in case a plant doesn't make it, but also it's easier for me to remember details about the plants I purchased. I don't know how many times I've planted plants only to forget which variety they were. It happened this year with my 12 tomato plants -- I had 4 different varieties and couldn't remember what they were or which ones were planted where. Had I saved the tags, it would make next year's garden even more productive because I would easily be able to tell which variety(ies) were our favorites, which ones produced when and which ones were ideal for different uses (canning, salsas, salads, sandwiches, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment